Located in the City of London, the Grade II* Accountants Hall is composed of three elements: the work of three architects – John Belcher, John James Joass and William Whitfield.
The project involved incorporating new stained-glass artwork by Alexander Beleschenko, and was focused on a two-phased repair and refurbishment of the Belcher wing, originally constructed between 1880 and 1893. This has included roof repairs and the replacement of the outer-glazed lantern of the dome, and the full refurbishment of the two principal reception rooms.
The Main Reception Room – originally the Council Chamber – which sits under the building’s glazed dome, extends into colonnaded apses and features murals by Scottish artist George Murray representing allegorical subjects such as: ‘Science Bringing Order with Scales and Rule to Commerce’ and ‘The Triumph of Law’.
Another space, The Members Room, was formerly the Library, and features a Venetian-style bridge with elaborate, almost gondola-like carriage lanterns, which spans the room, connecting balustraded galleries.
Our team carried out careful initial analysis of both rooms at Accountants Hall to inform the restoration work, which included new fitted joinery, a new lighting scheme and full redecoration. Analysis of the historic paint finishes informed the selection of the new colour scheme and the original murals were cleaned by specialist conservators.
The Members Room also saw the installation of a new stained-glass artwork by Alexander Beleschenko. The work, developed in collaboration with Donald Insall Associates and curated by Modus Operandi Art Consultants, is composed of three-framed glass panels, each approximately 3.5m high by 1.7m wide.