The historic Grade II listed bandstand at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens was restored to its former 1874 glory after six months of building work by Donald Insall Associates and a team of conservation specialists. The local landmark, which sits in the Gardens’ of Grade II* listed 15-acre grounds in Edgbaston, has been completely transformed, following a 12-month fundraising campaign that raised £138,000.
Extensive work included reinstating original features – including the colour scheme, as well as repairing the roof and lead, timbers, brickwork, mouldings, gold finials and acoustic screen. There have also been sympathetic adaptations, such as new steps which will provide access for the public for the first time.
The bandstand, is where Neville Chamberlain gave his first public speech as Prime Minister in 1937 and was later used as an air-raid shelter in the Second World War, has been named The Peter Sowerby Bandstand, following a substantial donation from The Peter Sowerby Foundation.